School is Starting - Please Ask for Your Accommodations!

Hi All,

Can you believe it's Fall?! And the First Official Day of Fall is just around the corner on September 22, 2017! Wow! Summer went fast. And school has officially started for some and many others will start soon. And that means my favorite part of the first day, the school supplies! :) Love school supplies! Other then catching up with my friends, the first day of school meant new school supplies! So, enjoy your school supplies and.... 

Wishing you the Best School Year!

Wishing you the Best School Year!

Whether your starting First Grade or Graduate School, schools all over the country are starting, and some even started as early as August!! Seriously, when I went to school, it was always September through June. Amazing how times have changed. But I like change, so it's fine with me. However, with schools all over starting, I would encourage you and/or your parents to ask for your legally entitled accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

For example, If one has a disability, such as a visual impairment like I do, then I am entitled to request accommodations. Such as, an enlarged exam, notetakers, extended-testing time, accessible furniture and so on based on my disability. Now there is certainly procedures and guidelines for each office, but you should definitely ask if you need them.  It's your legal right to request accommodations that will ensure your equal access to academics, events and architectural barriers.

Here's a legal tip for you regarding your rights. Just so you know you have rights and are entitled to them. If you're attending a public or private college/university they must provide equal access to postsecondary education for students with disabilities. All public and private schools that receive Federal funds are required under Section 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 to make their programs accessible to individuals with disabilities. Under 504 of The Rehabilitation Act nearly all school districts and post secondary schools in the United States are subject to either or both.

So that's why I would encourage you to inquire about your accommodations if you need them. And if you have any questions please send me an email on my Contact page. Good Luck!

Enjoy & Get Inspired!